Topps issued an 11-card set of cards to promote an NBC Babe Ruth movie that aired in October of 1991. The cards were created in the design of the 1991 set, with a description of the actor or scene portrayed on the front of each card. Everything I’ve read about the movie was that it wasn’t great, but it was significantly better than the previous Babe Ruth movie (from 1948). Stephen Lang played the title character. It’s an interesting cast of characters, highlighted in the set.
- Babe Ruth – played by Stephen Lang
- Claire Ruth – played by Lisa Zane
- Lou Gehrig – played by Neal McDonough
- Miller Huggins – played by Bruce Weitz
- Ty Cobb – played by Pete Rose
- Jacob Ruppert – played by Donald Moffat
- Rod Carew – as a swing consultant to help Lang learn to bat left-handed (the switch-hitting Rose couldn’t help here?)
This set contains the last card of Pete Rose printed by Topps through the weird coincidence of his playing Cobb a couple of years after his lifetime ban. I bought the set from eBay a few weeks ago.